Environmental Services Worker
Location: Carmel, New York US
Requisition Number: 8898
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
The Environmental Services Associates are an integral part of the patient care team, providing prompt, courteous, customer oriented services to patients, visitors, and co-workers in the areas of Patient/Item Transport. They contribute to the patient's satisfaction by fostering collaboration among and between team members as well as other ancillary departments. Employees must be able to readily adjust to change and handle a rapid-paced environment and the stresses associated with that, while continuing to provide high-quality, efficient service.
They are also responsible for specific housekeeping activities on patient floors, reception areas, laboratories, offices and other areas of the Hospital as specified. Cleaning activities include buffing, burnishing and refinishing of hard floor surfaces; carpet vacuuming, bonnet shampooing & extraction; transporting of bulk trash carts, recyclable materials & soiled linens; moving furniture, files & cabinets. Additionally, they will perform the activities outlined for Hospitality Services Aides.
1. Transport Criteria A: Escorts patients to and from a unit using a transportation vehicle (wheelchair, stretcher, bed, or other apparatus) in a safe and appropriate manner. Transport Criteria B: Upon receipt of authorization, proceeds to unit, clinic, or other designated area to pick up patient(s) and/or other miscellaneous items related to patient care. Transport Criteria C: Assists with moves and transfers of patients, equipment, and furniture on the patient care unit. Transport Criteria D: Transports specimens and miscellaneous items related to patient care to and from the unit.
2. Transport Techniques Criteria A: Practices good body mechanics when transferring or lifting patients Transport Techniques Criteria B: Identifies correct patient for transportation by checking identification armband for all patients. Transport Techniques Criteria C: Notifies appropriate personnel upon arrival/departure of patient and miscellaneous items at unit. Transport Techniques Criteria D: Complies with: Average Minutes – Dispatched to Completed, which should be 16 minutes or less; Patient Tracking Average number of Dispatches per Hour, which should be three (3) or more; and Patient Tracking Delays, which should be 10 minutes or less.
3. Customer Service Criteria A: Displays appropriate behavior at all times toward patients, co-workers, medical staff, and visitors. Customer Service Criteria B: Maintains patient confidentiality and patient privacy. Customer Service Criteria C: Reports all lost items found on both the patient care unit and in the patient room to security. Customer Service Criteria D: Exercises phone etiquette and customer service skills at all times.
4. Precautionary Measures Criteria A: Uses protective equipment according to Infection Control Policies and Guidelines Precautionary Measures Criteria B: Exercises good hand washing techniques. Precautionary Measures Criteria C: Adheres to Universal Precautions at all time.
5. Hard Floor and Carpet Care Criteria A: Demonstrates the ability to operate all assigned floor and carpet care equipment for stripping, buffing and burnishing; vacuuming, speed bonnet clean and shampooing. Hard Floor and Carpet Care Criteria B: Exhibits knowledge and ability to work with all floor and carpet care products.
6. Environmental Services Aide Functions Criteria A: Demonstrates the ability to perform the 7 step cleaning procedure according to standards. Environmental Services Aide Functions Criteria B: Demonstrates the ability to perform discharge cleaning according to standards. Environmental Services Aide Functions Criteria C: Complies with patient's rooms cleaning Average Response Time, which should not exceed 45 minutes Environmental Services Aide Functions Criteria D: Cleans, maintains and stores equipment and supplies according to standards.
7. Trash Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria A: Demonstrates the ability to gather and tie bags following the proper protocols for Regulated Medical Waste and Regular waste. Trash Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria B: Demonstrates the ability to reline all trash containers with the appropriate liners. Trash Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria C: Demonstrate the ability to transport bulk trash carts throughout the facility in a safe manner. Trash Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria D: Demonstrate the ability to unload trash, recyclable waste and Regulated Medical Waste into the appropriate storage bins for disposal.
8. Soiled Linen Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria A: Demonstrates the ability to gather and tie bags following the proper protocols for soiled linen handling Soiled Linen Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria B: Demonstrates the ability ti reline all hampers with the appropriate liners. Soiled Linen Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria C: Demonstrates the ability to transport bulk linen carts throughout the facility in a safe manner. Soiled Linen Collection, Hauling and Disposal Criteria D: Demonstrates the ability to unload soiled linens into the appropriate bins for processing.
9. Move and Transport Furniture and Equipment Criteria A: Demonstrates the ability to safely move, or transport furniture and equipment. Move and Transport Furniture and Equipment Criteria B: Sets and re-sets all types of furniture and related material.
10. Equipment Care and Maintenance Criteria A: Cleans and maintains equipment in orderly condition. Equipment Care and Maintenance Criteria B: Stores equipment in the appropriate location. Equipment Care and Maintenance Criteria C: Advises Management of broken and/or malfunctioning equipment.
11. Kronos/ TeleTracking and Paging Systems Compliance Criteria A: Uses Kronos System to properly record time worked; complying with the EVS Policy Standard “No more than three (3) violations of the Timekeeping Guidelines in any 30 day period”. Kronos/ TeleTracking and Paging Systems Compliance Criteria B: Uses Bed Tracking System to properly record patient's rooms cleaning (discharges) Kronos/ TeleTracking and Paging Systems Compliance Criteria C: Uses Patient Tracking System to properly record all transport calls Kronos/ TeleTracking and Paging Systems Compliance Criteria D: Uses Paging System properly and timely responds all calls
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
13. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
Required: High School diploma or G.E.D. is required. Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language is essential. Three months of related experience in Transport or Environmental Services in the health industry. Excellent customer service skills. Successful completion of Support Services Associate training program.
Minimum Experience: zero to six months
Desired: Basic math skills and basic knowledge of communication equipment such as beepers, telephones and portable radios. Must be a team player, have a demonstrated ability to prioritize and time manage, work independently, problem solve, follow-through, and take initiative. Ability to talk and hear clearly in English, as well as understanding directions given directly or by the telephone. Bilingual skills a plus.
Location: Putnam Hospital
Work Type: PRN
* HS Graduate or Equivalent
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
State: New York
Community / Marketing Title: Environmental Services Worker
Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network have combined to form a new nonprofit health system. The name for the new health system will be Nuvance Health. The new health system was created to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible and affordable care.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Carmel, New York US
Job Number: 30659