Registered Nurse (Behavioral health)
Location: Sharon, Connecticut US
Requisition Number: 9486
urpose: The Registered Nurse executes comprehensive nursing care activities and provides nursing staff leadership. He/she assesses patient’s needs, plans and implements patient care activities, and evaluates the patient’s response to treatment. He/she manages activities within the therapeutic milieu and directs the delivery of nursing care by other members of the nursing treatment team. Population served based on scope of services in the department.
1. Demonstrates the ability to assess, treat and care for the unique needs of a geriatric patient.
2. Demonstrates the knowledge and judgment needed to utilize the nursing. process to assess, plan, implement and evaluate each patient’s nursing care.
3. Demonstrates the ability to assume Charge RN responsibility.
4. Provides a thorough, concise report at change of shift, communicating appropriate information to the Charge RN/Nurse Manager.
5. Demonstrates competent clinical and decision-making skills and takes accountability and responsibility for his/her own work performance.
6. Perform vital signs, EKG’s and blood sugars on all patients.
7. Expected to assist in passing meal trays and assist feeding patients as needed
8. Assist patient with ADL’s (Activities of Daily Living), including toileting, showering, changing clothes, briefs, etc.
9. Administer PO/IM medications to patients and monitor side effects
10.Makes patient feel welcome, comfortable and secure by introducing self and assisting patients in finding their way by providing direction and/or escorting them to their destination
11.Acts as a patient advocate and delivers care in a nonjudgmental and non-discriminatory manner that is sensitive to patient diversity
12.Maintain and Model Nuvance Health Values.
13.Demonstrates regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
14.Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
· Associate degree in nursing or equivalent experience.
· One-year nursing experience
· Two years-experience in Behavioral Health setting or equivalent experience preferred
· Clerical (filing, photocopying etc.) experience preferred
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
· Knowledge of Cerner and power chart preferred
· MS Office Suite
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Computer and analytical skills
· Ability to organize, multitask and prioritize
License, Registration, or Certification Requirements:
· Currently licensed as a Registered Professional Nurse in the state of Connecticut.
· BLS and CPI required within 30 days of employment.
· Successful completion of a Joint Commission approved non-violent de-escalation certification within 30 days of hire.
Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Potential environmental exposures include, but are not limited to:
· Bio-hazardous Waste
· Blood Borne Pathogens. Job may require performance or tasks that involve potential for exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
· Chemicals/Commercial Products
· Experiencing challenging conditions where a professional attitude will be required
· Exposure to Latex
· Extreme Cold to Extreme Heat (non-weather)
· Fumes or Airborne Particles
· Interacting with a Diverse population
· May be requested to work overtime or weekends for coverage
· Noise Level – Varies from Moderate to Very Loud
· Exposed to patients’ conditions and some unpleasant sights, smells and contagious diseases.
· Exposure to patients with behavioral disturbances with potential for harm/injury
· Repetitive Motion
· Required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
· Risk of Electrical Shock
· Shift Work
· Adverse weather conditions
· Wet, Humid Conditions (non-weather)
· Work near moving mechanical parts
Location: Sharon-Sharon Hospital 50 Hospital Hill Road
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours: 0.00
Work Schedule: Day 12
Work Shift: 12 hour shifts 6:45am - 7:15pm with weekends and holidays as required
Org Unit: 938
Department: Psych Unit
Community / Marketing Title: Registered Nurse (Behavioral health)
Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network have combined to form a new nonprofit health system. The name for the new health system will be Nuvance Health. The new health system was created to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible and affordable care.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Sharon, Connecticut US
Job Number: 30668