Registered Nurse- (Psych/Mental Health)
Location: Sharon, Connecticut US
Requisition Number: 5979
Nuvance Health is a family of award-winning nonprofit hospitals and healthcare professionals in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut. Nuvance Health combines highly skilled physicians, state-of-the-art facilities and technology, and compassionate caregivers dedicated to providing quality care across a variety of clinical areas, including Cardiovascular, Neurosciences, Oncology, Orthopedics, and Primary Care. Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations. For more information about Nuvance Health, visit www.nuvancehealth.org.
Purpose: The Registered Nurse executes comprehensive nursing care activities and provides nursing staff leadership. He/she assesses patient needs, plans and implements patient care activities, and evaluates the patient’s response to treatment. He/she manages activities within the therapeutic milieu and directs the delivery of nursing care by other members of the nursing treatment team. Population served is based on scope of services in the department.
1. Able to assess and reassess the needs of the patient.
2. Completes nursing assessment within 24 hours of admission.
3. Provides efficient discharge planning throughout process.
4. An active member of the interdisciplinary treatment team and continuously evaluates the appropriateness and quality of nursing care.
5. Serves as the primary nursing care coordinator, planning, implementing and coordinating nursing care activities for assigned patients.
6. Performs treatment/ documents intervention following physician orders such as medication administration and medical treatment orders.
7. Interprets the nursing and treatment needs of the patient to non-professional staff members assigned to the patient.
8. Assists in placing patients in seclusion or restraints and observes suicide/seclusion precautions.
9. Provides resources and support for patient, prior, during and after treatment.
10. Monitors and enforces utilization of proper nursing techniques while supervising LVN (LPN) and unlicensed nursing staff.
11. Maintain and Model REACH Values (Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Compassion, Honor).
12. Demonstrates regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
13. Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Associate Degree in nursing or equivalent experience.
• One to three years nursing experience preferred.
• Clerical (filing, photocopying etc.) experience preferred.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Requirements:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Computer and analytical skills.
• Ability to organize, multitask, prioritize and work in Customer Relations.
License, Registration, or Certification Requirements:
• CT RN License required.
• BLS Certification required.
• Successful completion of a Joint Commission approved non-violent de-escalation certification program within 30 days of hire.
Factors affecting environment conditions may vary depending on the assigned work area and tasks. Potential environmental exposures include, but are not limited to:
• Bio-hazardous Waste
• Blood Borne Pathogens. Job may require performance or tasks that involve potential for exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissues.
• Chemicals/Commercial Products
• Experiencing challenging conditions where a professional attitude will be required
• Exposure to Latex
• Fumes or Airborne Particles
• Interacting with a Diverse population
• May be requested to work overtime or weekends for coverage
• Noise Level – Varies from Moderate to Very Loud
• Patient Care/Handling Duties
• Repetitive Motion
• Required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
• Risk of Electrical Shock
• Shift Work
Physical & Mental Requirements:
Requirement Percent of Time Activity Required
Physical Strength and Endurance None 1% –
33% 34% - 66% 67% - 100%
Manual dexterity – using hands, fingers, or feet X
Reach/Grasp at, above, below shoulder level X
Visual acuity adequate to read information from printed sources and computer screens X
Speaking / Hearing – Communicate clearly in person / over the phone / respond to questions X
Ability to manage stress related to multiple priorities X
0 - 10 lbs. X
11 - 25 lbs. X
26 - 50 lbs. X
51 lbs. or greater X
Equipment Usage None 1% –
33% 34% - 66% 67% - 100%
Computer - Requires manual dexterity to operate keyboard X
Power Equipment- Requires hand/eye coordination X
Clinical Equipment – visual acuity & manual dexterity X
Mental Requirements Yes No
Ability to perform duties that require flexibility and interpersonal skills in addition to sound judgment X
Effectively verbalize instructions / important information in a pleasant manner X
Ability to read / record data quickly and accurately and prepare forms/documents X
Ability to prioritize appropriately X
Ability to work and cooperate with managers, patients, family members, and employees at all levels to exchange ideas and facilitate the tasks at hand X
Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment X
Ability to work in an environment with constant interruptions X
Complex mental calculations X
Physical & Mental Requirements may vary depending on assigned work area and work tasks X
Location: Sharon-Sharon Hospital 50 Hospital Hill Road
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 36.00
Work Schedule: Night 12
Work Shift: 6:45pm-7:15am, every other weekend, holidays
Org Unit: 938
Department: Psych Unit
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
orig post 12/31/2020
Community / Marketing Title: Registered Nurse- (Psych/Mental Health)
Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network have combined to form a new nonprofit health system. The name for the new health system will be Nuvance Health. The new health system was created to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible and affordable care.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Sharon, Connecticut US
Job Number: 31555