Central Sterile Processing Technician
Location: Sharon, Connecticut US
Requisition Number: 12281
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
1. Insures proper operation of sterilizer units prior to use on a daily basis.
2. Runs biological and chemical tests at beginning of the day shift. Records results in appropriate log.
3. Inspects sterilizers for visible signs of malfunction and reports to charge nurse or Director.
4. Processes or oversees, all contaminated instruments and supplies returned to Central Service.
5. Uses knowledge of sterilization principles to correctly wrap or package items for sterilization.
6. Processes all items appropriately using sterilization method.
7. Maintains appropriate spore testing on routine basis and documents results as required.
8. Assists with clerical work related to the Central Service, as requested.
9. Applies aseptic techniques in daily work assignments. Performs general cleaning of department surface areas, racks, shelves, storage cabinets and all storage area.
10. Stores all supplies and equipment; stocks Central Service's dispensing racks.
11. Knowledgeable regarding handling and care of instruments, tray preparation and special procedure items.
12. Performs tray assemblage, proper packaging and preparation of all applicable supplies for sterilization. Monitors sterility dates on supplies.
13. Properly loads, operates and cleans all sterilizers, and general equipment using biological and chemical control tests as required by department.
Birth to 1 year X 6 years to 12 years X 30 years to 60 years X
1 year to 3 years X 12 years to 18 years X 60+ years X
3 years to 6 years X 18 years to 30 years X No direct patient care:
14. Maintains preventative maintenance procedures. Completes repair orders for Engineering Department for any unit found inoperable.
15. Receives and delivers supplies.
16. Assists with monitoring and maintaining stock in storeroom.
17. Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
18. Orders stock as needed.
19. Participates in departmental performance improvement activities.
Sub Total Section I
It is our responsibility to treat all of our customers (patients, families, physicians, co-workers, and outside contacts) with courtesy, dignity, respect and professionalism. The following is an assessment of your performance relative to each of these expectations.
Welcome and/or greet customers in a professional, polite and respectful way. Assists customers with finding their way. Makes eye contact; introduces self and explains purpose, when appropriate.
Assists people with finding proper resources for problem resolution.
Listens carefully; does not interrupt; gives people full attention.
Respects privacy and dignity. Respects individual and cultural differences.
Uses a professional and respectful tone. Does not make disparaging remarks about others.
Respects other people’s time and priorities.
Discusses confidential or sensitive information about customers, employees, or hospital business only with those
having a valid need to know, and does so privately, never in public places.
Responds in a timely manner to requests for help. Responds to customers’ needs and provides prompt service.
Provides a time frame for providing services and explains any delays. If unable to provide service, finds someone who can assist.
Adapts easily when plans or situations change. Supportive of and appropriately responsive to change.
Invites questions and comments
Communicates with clarity and professionalism both orally and in writing.
Keeps people informed while resolving issues or getting answers to questions.
Takes responsibility for improving processes and systems; looks for new and better ways of doing things
Participates openly, honestly shares opinions, and looks for new and better ways of doing things. Demonstrates
a willingness to accept assignments in a positive manner
Maintains positive working relationships with co-workers and all customers. Works as a member of the team;
performs duties in a way that makes it easier for others to perform theirs.
Avoids personal conversations with co-workers when providing patient care or other customer service.
Demonstrates a professional attitude toward co-workers and customers.
Makes no inappropriate or negative comment about patients, co-workers, physicians, and any aspect of Sharon
Hospital while in the presence or within hearing of an internal or external customer. Does not initiate conflict and takes measures to ensure that conflict does not occur.
Demonstrates pride in Sharon Hospital by keeping areas clean and safe. Limits eating, drinking and smoking to designated areas and only during approved times.
Complies with organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
Demonstrates ongoing responsibility and commitment to the job through attendance and punctuality in relation to stated work hours.
Accepts responsibility for the outcome of decisions. Learns from criticism, is open to new ideas and makes appropriate changes.
Follows professional telephone guidelines.
· Graduate of high school or equivalent.
· Minimum of one year experience as Sterile Tech preferred.
· Current BLS Certificate.
· Sterile Tech Certification Required within 1 year of employment.
· Communicates effectively in English, both in writing and reading.
· Thorough knowledge of medical terminology and nomenclature of items and equipment used by the department.
· Knowledgeable with cleaning and sterilization procedures and techniques.
· Basic understanding of various functions of the department. Conscientious regard for technical and minute procedures.
· Basic computer knowledge.
· For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Location: Sharon-Sharon Hospital 50 Hospital Hill Road
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 40.00
Work Schedule: DAY 8.5
Work Shift: 6:30am - 3pm, Mon-Fri
Org Unit: 1445
Department: Operating Room
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
Community / Marketing Title: Central Sterile Processing Technician
Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network have combined to form a new nonprofit health system. The name for the new health system will be Nuvance Health. The new health system was created to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible and affordable care.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Sharon, Connecticut US
Job Number: 39212