Pharmacy Technician 3
Location: Danbury, Connecticut US
Requisition Number: 11688
The Pharmacy Technician 3 will assist pharmacists in the formulation, preparation, dispensing, delivery and storage of medications and pharmaceutical supplies. The pharmacy technician will ensure that products and services are provided in a timely, safe and cost effective manner according to department policies, procedures, and practice standards. A Pharmacy Technician 3 will have additional responsibilities related to department leadership, quality improvement, staff training, and work flow oversight.
1. Maintains and complies with all state, federal and regulatory requirements for pharmacy and medication management. Performs monthly quality assurance activities. Adheres to all network wide policies and procedures including those related to attendance, customer service, Health Stream education modules & cost containment. Participates in daily huddles and staff meetings. Responsible for the oversight & work flow of 2 or more areas of responsibility (to be assigned by manager). Participates in the training and education of new employees, recommends process improvement plans annually. Acts as leader in department to set standards, maintain culture, and report any issues or variance from standards/policies.
2. Adheres to medication distribution process workflow. Operates pharmacy dispensing technology and able to troubleshoot problem/failures and operates pharmacy systems as appropriate. Assists pharmacist in the gathering and preparing medications (per provider orders) while adhering to policies related to unit dose packaging, regulations and proper record keeping. Prepares extemporaneous compounds following established USP 795 standards and practices.
IV Admixture / USP 797 Compliance
3. Completes routine USP 797 competencies. Adheres to department standards regarding daily workflow. Prepares all IV admixtures following 797 policies and procedures. Performs USP 797 required Monthly Clean (per dept SOP).
Hazardous Drug Handling - USP 800
4. Identifies medications considered "hazardous" by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and WCHN policy. Complies with USP 800 when handling hazardous medications. Completes annual didactic test on USP 800 proper practice and procedures. Performs hazardous medication preparation in compliance with USP 800 standards, including chemo and cross covering in cancer center. Responds and resolves proper USP 800 procedure when dealing with a chemical spill.
Automated Dispensing Cabinet / Vault
5. Operates ADC information system and follows department SOP regard daily workflow for vault technician. Accurately fills and maintains automated dispensing machines and controlled substance orders following departmental and statutory requirements. Performs required audits, proper record keeping of controlled substance dispensing and waste - assess audits being completed on regular basis. Assists/resolves all ADC discrepancy reports hospital wide. Maintains ADC drug inventory levels both in and outside of the department. Assists in preparation for state and federal inspection.
Inventory Management / Shipping & Receiving
6. Identifies medication ordering needs proactively. Communicates restock needs to correct staff and maintains appropriate par levels. Places orders related to pharmacy medication and supplies (stockroom vs drugs). Receives and restocks new inventory. Accurately receives controlled substances into pharmacy vault (with witness). Identifies and navigates potential drug shortages. Performs medication returns to supplies for credit when needed. Checks and monitors low volume items that are critical to patient care
7. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma
- minimum of three years job-related experience.
- License: Registered Pharmacy Technician with Connecticut Department of consumer Protection within 30 days from hire.
- Prior pharmacy technician experience, PTCB license.
Location: New Milford-21 Elm St
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours: 8.00
Work Schedule: Day 8
Work Shift: The shift will be either 9am-5:30pm or 7am-3:30pm
Org Unit: 478
Department: Pharmacy NMH
* Pharmacy Technician
* HS Graduate or Equivalent
* Some manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
* Little or no potential for occupational risk
* Medium to Heavy effort. May exert up to 35 lbs. force
* Generally pleasant working conditions.
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
Community / Marketing Title: Pharmacy Technician 3
Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network have combined to form a new nonprofit health system. The name for the new health system will be Nuvance Health. The new health system was created to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible and affordable care.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Danbury, Connecticut US
Job Number: 45457