Supervisor Blood Bank
Location: Poughkeepsie, New York US
Requisition Number: 15360
Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
Responsibilities include the oversight of planning and coordinating the daily operations of the assigned department, scheduling and supervision of laboratory personnel on multiple shifts, prioritizing and distributing work assignments to insure and effective work flow. They will insure that all supply requirements of the department are met. There will be an active involvement in quality control and developing and monitoring indicators. This role will contribute to the overall quality of the Laboratory and the service provided. This position communicates effectively at all times to promote interdepartmental and intradepartmental collaboration; enabling concerns to be shared freely. Population served based on scope of services in the department.
1. Maintains and Models REACH values (Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Compassion, Honor)
2. Demonstrates regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
3. Performs the duties of a highly skilled Medical Technologist as outlined in the specific job description; serving as “Acting Laboratory Manager” as needed.
4. Writes, revises, enforces and completes biannual review of SOPs; developing and maintain appropriate documentation of methods and results
5. Completes special projects as requested i.e. evaluation of new methodology; using appropriate documentation forms for new instrumentation/methodology, surveys, statistical reports, evaluation of performance improvement indicators, attending committee meetings, understands timelines and deadlines and fiscal issues related to meeting them
6. Supervises equipment preventive maintenance and troubleshooting of instrumentation issues; resolving issues prior to seeking assistance
7. Supervises and evaluates the work of department staff; provides professional guidance and expertise, reviews required reports and department related work in a timely manner, insures appropriate record retention
8. Implements quality control measures; reviews QC according to policy, documents remedial actions taken for deficiencies
9. Ensures adequate staffing ; determines priorities and workflows, handles unscheduled PTO, scheduled PTO requests, controls overtime, completes payroll
10. Responsible for effective inventory control of department while monitoring conformance within approved budget
11. Performs department training and competencies, interviews, hires, orients, participates in disciplinary process, performs appraisals and set goals
12. Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies’ requirements; prepares for and participates in all inspections, processes, reports and implements corrective actions for NYSDOH and CAP inspections, investigates root cause and prepares responses and plan of action for any deficiencies
13. Oversees the proficiency testing program; orders appropriate proficiency testing material, assigns testing to staff, checks results and reviews with Medical Director, ensures testing is completed and submitted prior to deadline, investigates root cause of any unacceptable results including discussion with Medical Director and completion of required paperwork
14. Adheres to and enforces all PPE requirements as per safety guidelines
15. Maintains a professional demeanor at all times recognizing that the position is seen as an extension of Health Quest; adheres to department dress code, wears ID badge, displays a caring and courteous attitude in all interactions, maintains confidentiality in all interactions
16. Performs other duties as required
Education and Experience Requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology or in one of the related sciences and/or NYS Department of Education equivalent
· 6 years of clinical laboratory experience post MT certification
Must have previous blood bank experience and prefer previous blood bank supervision.
Location: Vassar Brothers Medical Center
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day 8
Work Shift: varied hours
Org Unit: 1688
Department: Blood Bank
EOE, including disability/vets.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
State: New York
Community / Marketing Title: Supervisor Blood Bank
Health Quest and Western Connecticut Health Network have combined to form a new nonprofit health system. The name for the new health system will be Nuvance Health. The new health system was created to provide communities across New York’s Hudson Valley and western Connecticut with more convenient, accessible and affordable care.
EEO Employer Verbiage:
Location_formattedLocationLong: Poughkeepsie, New York US
Job Number: 47213